Dr Udaya SamarakkodyMB BS 1983 Colombo; FRCS 1992; FRACS 1994
Full NZ Registration Date19 March 1997
Dr Udaya Samarakkody - Paediatric Surgeon
Bay Of Plenty 3010
(07) 834 0717
(07) 834 0729
Special Clinical Interest(s)
- Paediatric urology
- minimal access surgery (key hole surgery)
- Surgery for inguinal hernia, hydrocoele, undescended testes, umbilical hernia, tongue tie, hypospadias, appendicitis and enlarged lymph nodes.
- Circumcision (medical, social and religious)
- Comprehensive endoscopy service that includes upper GI endoscopy, colonscopy, cystoscopy, bronchoscopy and related procedures
- Abdominal surgery (including laparoscopy)
- Thoracic Surgery (including thoracoscopy)
- Paediatric urology: Vesico ureteric reflux, urinary tract infection, kidney stones, hydronephrosis and urodynamic studies
- Neonatal surgery
- Consultation for antenatally diagnosed foetal abnormalities
My achievements and involvement in the community has involved:
- Paediatric surgeon in Hamilton since 1996
- Director of Paediatric surgery at Waikato Hospital, Hamilton since 2002-2011.
- Honorary senior clinical lecturer in paediatric surgery, Waikato Clinical School of University of Auckland.
- NZ representative of Australasian Association of Paediatric surgeons (AAPS) 2000-2004
- Secretary, New Zealand Society of Paediatric surgeons, 1999 & 2000
- Secretary, Perinatal Society of New Zealand, 2002-2006
- President NZ Society of Paediatric Surgeons 2010-2013
- Secretary, Waikato Postgraduate Medicine Inc, 2002 to date
- Australia and New Zealand Association of Paediatric Surgeons
- British Association of Paediatric Surgeons
- International Paediatric Endosurgical Group
- New Zealand Society of Paediatric Surgeons (founder member)
- Perinatal Society of New Zealand
- Waikato Postgraduate Medicine Inc.
I can speak English, Sinhalese and Te Reo Maori.
Post Fellowship Training
- MS-Master of Surgery, University of Colombo 1988
- DCH-Diploma in Child Health, University of Colombo 1991
- DipLapSurg- Diploma in Laparoscopic Surgery, University of Strasburg 2012
- MClinEd-Masters in Clinical Education, University of Auckland 2014